The inquest started in 2018 and further hearings were held last month before adjourning until June.
At a preliminary hearing today barrister Andrew Moriarty for the next of kin raised the issue of former soldiers who had not co-operated with the Coroner’s Service.
Referring to several military witnesses who had not responded to requests for information, Mr Moriarty said it was an issue the Coroner would have to address.
He said there were various options open to the presiding Coroner, Judge Sandra Crawford, including going to the High Court to summons witnesses who are outside the jurisdiction but still within the wider UK.
The coroner said this was an issue she was keeping under consideration and she was aware there had been attempts to contact some witnesses without success.
Judge Crawford said that she would approach the issue keeping in mind “necessity, relevance and proportionality.”
Ian Skelt QC, counsel for the coroner, said that the inquest would resume on June 21 and it was intended that the final military witnesses would give evidence then.
The new inquest into mothert-of-six Mrs Thompson’s death was ordered by the Attorney General.
Mrs Thompson was shot dead in her own back garden in Creggan during a military operation in November 5/6 1971.