The five centres across the district were reopened to the public on Monday as part of the easing of lockdown restrictions in Northern Ireland.
Derry City and Strabane District Council said 2,800 vehicles visited the centres on the first day and 130 tonnes of waste has been disposed of so far.
Members were reminded that access to the sites are limited to cars only.
Large vans or trailers are not permitted.
People are being encouraged to continue to use their home refuse bins provided and the free bulky waste collection service.
They should refrain where possible from visiting the recycling centres during this evening, Friday, May 22.
Council members were told yesterday that the COVID-19 waste helpline will be discontinued from this eveninnext week.
However, the bulky waste collection service number will remain in place to help the public.
It was outlined at Thursday’s briefing that household recycling centres at Donemana, Newtownstewart and Killen could possibly reopen to the public from next week, subject to a health and safety site visits, while the phased reintroduction of all materials across all sites remains under review.