Derry Daily
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Features
  • Courts
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Jobs
Friday 22°CSaturday 25°C

Derry Daily Derry Daily Derry Daily

  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Features
  • Courts
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Jobs
HealthNews

Family of patient at Owen Mor care home call for ‘immediate change’

written by John September 5, 2019
ShareTweet

The Owen Mor home on Derry’s Culmore Road

A FAMILY of a patient in the Owen Mor care home have called for an “immediate change” at the facility.
The Stweart family have issued a statement about the care of the loved one at the Culmore Road home through SDLP councillor Brian Tiereny.

The family are also inviting people who have or had relatives at the nursing home to attend a public meeting about the situation which is being held in the Waterfoot Hotel next Thursday, September 12 between 8 p and 10 pm.

Watchdog RQIA recently stopped further admissions to the home as they had concerns about ongoing issues.

“The Stewart family statement says: “Recent developments in Owen Mor care home have seen the RQIA take the unprecedented action in Northern Ireland to formerly closing this care home to new admissions for a 2nd time in 3 months after an unannounced visit by RQIA found that health standards raised in May remained unaddressed.

“The Home had been periodically opened again by the Western Trust some time in July, but RQIA took the decision to close again in August of this year.

“The Stewart family’s father currently resides at Owen Mor.

“They feel that the issues raised by RQIA only scrap the surface as to the failings they have been fighting tirelessly to change.

“These serious concerns need highlighted and addressed.

“The family is exhausted in there efforts going through all the apporaite complaint procedures.

“There seems to be a acceptance of the unacceptable in relation to the level of care that are love ones receive.

“There is a fundamental problem within the infrastructure of our care system that appears to have desensitized those who have a duty of care to the elderly and vulnerable in our communities to the basic human right to appropriate levels of care, protection and dignity.

“We would like to extend this invitation to anyone who has been affected by these concerns weather it be within Owen Mor care home or any other care home.

“Anyone can feel free to contact this page prior to the meeting if they would like any of there own concerns or issues raised at the meeting or simply what their story told.

“Let’s help make a difference to the quality of lives of those in our community more vulnerable than ourselves who have NO VOICE,” the statement concluded.

Family of patient at Owen Mor care home call for ‘immediate change’ was last modified: September 7th, 2019 by John

Tags:
cllr brian tierneyculmore roadDerryFamily of patient at Owen Mor care home call for 'immediate change'Owen Mor care homeSDLPStewart family
ShareTweet
John

LEAVE A COMMENT

You may also like

Derry Labour Market Partnership celebrate success of...

8 hours ago

Savour the best of the North West...

9 hours ago

Bin collections and Recycling Centres operate as...

9 hours ago

Finance Minister visits sites of Derry Strabane...

10 hours ago

Durkan: We need to get serious about...

17 hours ago

Police appeal over children playing in derelict...

17 hours ago

Strabane success in promoting Vibrant Town in...

2 days ago

New baby monitor units arrive at Altnagelvin...

2 days ago

Build a future in construction on fully...

2 days ago

Durkan: Executive must act now or more...

2 days ago

Keep in touch

Facebook Twitter Email

Features

  • Sun, sea, spectacular views, historical charm and fabulous food. Tunisia of course

    April 5, 2024
  • Magical trip to see Santa from Belfast

    December 20, 2023
  • DD Travel Feature: Cork’s amazing The Montenotte Hotel

    April 18, 2023
  • Derry cancer survivor Noeleen McMorris reveals importance of awareness

    July 25, 2022
  • Competition! Win tickets to Northern Ireland v England Women’s Euro 2022 match

    June 17, 2022

Courts

  • Man charged to court over Derry drugs seizure

    July 6, 2025
  • Drink-driver charged to court over Derry collision

    July 5, 2025
  • Derry priest faces seven more child sex charges

    July 4, 2025
  • Man charged with possessing indecent images of children

    July 4, 2025
  • Two men in court after £1.2m cannabis find near border

    July 3, 2025

Donegal Daily

    Read More

    • News
    • Sport
    • Courts
    • Jobs
    • Features
    • Business
    • Politics

    Information

    • Contact Us
    • About
    • Advertise WIth Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms & Conditions
    Derry Daily

    © 2025 Derry Daily. All rights reserved.


    Back To Top

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.OkPrivacy policy