AS Derry prepares to celebrate is 30th year of Hallowe’en festivities this evening, the Fire Service say they want everyone to enjoy the occasion which is being billed as ‘Out of This World.
But fire chiefs in the city have also got some handy tips for people of all ages to staying safe when handling sparklers.
Always supervise children using sparklers. Give children woollen gloves to wear and teach them how to use them properly.
Never hold a baby/child if you’re holding a sparkler.
Plunge finished sparklers hot end into water as soon as they’ve burnt out.
Don’t take sparklers to public displays. It’ll be too crowded to use them safely.
Never give sparklers to under 5s.
Store sparklers in a closed box in a cool, dry place.
Always light sparklers at arm’s length, one at a time and wear gloves.
If a child’s costume happens to catch fire remember: STOP, DROP and ROLL