A MINUTE’S SILENCE FOR THE INNOCENT BLOODY SUNDAY VICTIMS 44 YEARS ON
DERRY’S Rossville Street will fall silent this afternoon as the city remembers the 14 innocent murder victims of Bloody Sunday.
Exactly 44 years ago today on January 30, 1972, British Paratroopers shot dead 14 people in what became known as the ‘Bogside Massacre’.
The families of those killed, along with survivors, will observe a minute’s silence at the Bloody Sunday monument in Rossville Street at 4.30 pm.
The relatives will gather again later tonight for a memorial Mass taking place at 7.30 pm in St Mary’s Church in Creggan where the funerals of those killed took place.
The Mass will be followed by a lecture to be delivered by SDLP Foyle MP Mark Durkan.
The Bloody Sunday march which will leave Central Drive in Creggan at 2.30pm tomorrow, Sunday, January 31 and make its way to Free Derry Corner.
Yesterday Derry Daily reported that detectives from the PSNI’s Serious Crime Branch are to start interviewing British soldiers in the coming weeks over the Bloody Sunday murders of 14 unarmed civilians in the Bogside.
The news has been delivered to families of the Bloody Sunday victims in a letter from a senior police officer involved in the investigation.
John Kelly, whose 17-year-old brother Michael was shot dead on Bloody Sunday in 1972, said the PSNI have now told relatives that the England-based interviews about the ‘Bogside Massacre’ will start next month.
Seven British soldiers won a judicial review at the end of last year in the High Court in London to prevent the PSNI coming to England, arresting them and bringing them back to Northern Ireland for interview.
The court ruled they should be interviewed in England.
In November last year, a former British Paratrooper was arrested and questioned at Musgrave PSNI station
Now in a letter to families, the PSNI say: “Given the number of interviews to be held and the location of same in GB, it is likely that they will extend over a number of months.”