GAS FITTER JAILED FOR FOUR YEARS FOR MANSLAUGHTER OF TEENAGERS
A gas fitter has been jailed for four years for causing the deaths of two teenagers by carbon monoxide poisoning at a holiday apartment at a Co Derry seaside resort nearly three-and-a-half years ago.
Friends Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson, from Newtownabbey in Co Antrim, were found dead by their parents after being overcome by the gas while holidaying in Castlerock on 3 August 2010.
George Brown (52), from Ballygawley Road, Aghadowey, Co Derry will serve half of the sentence in jail and the other half on licence after admitting the manslaughter of the two boys at Coleraine Crown Court sitting at Laganside Court in Belfast.
He also admitted and a further 19 charges involving failures in health and safety legislation.
They included failure to protect non-employees, failing to ensure those fitting gas appliances were qualified, and incorrectly fitting and failing to test that appliances were correctly connected.
He had initially denied the charges but changed his plea to guilty at an earlier court hearing.
The two 18-year-old friends, former prefects at Glengormley High School, had been on a break in the seaside town ahead of getting their exam results.